Sunday, 12 February 2012

Application Letter

Please retrieve the job opening advertisement here before you read my cover letter! :)

(Sender’s address)


February 8, 2012

(Recipient’s full name)
(Recipient’s designation)
Ministry of Education, Singapore
1 North Buona Vista Drive
Singapore 138675

Dear (Recipient’s name),

RE: Application for a full-time teaching position – Ministry of Education (MOE)

I am a Year 2 undergraduate reading Geography at the National University of Singapore and have a strong interest in the full-time teaching position at MOE as advertised on ST701.com, February 8, 2012.

My reasons for applying to a teaching position at MOE are twofold. Firstly, I am excited by the prospect of working with energetic students in a school setting. I believe that it is within a teacher’s capacity to enlighten and intrigue young minds that will form the pillars of our society in future. Secondly, I am motivated by MOE’s support for teachers to pursue individual growth and professional development. This is particularly evident in the TEACH framework that MOE extends to its teachers. These endow the meaningful purpose and relevance that I look for in my future career.

My interest in teaching sparked off when I started teaching at Brilliant Minds Learning Centre. I thoroughly enjoyed the process of working with young children and inculcating them with the necessary skills beyond academia. It has been very rewarding each time to see my students benefit and enjoy my lessons. Since then, my passion for teaching has never stopped. In May 2011, I participated in a Field Studies programme with NUS Geography to Northern Thailand, Chiang Mai. From the course, I am convinced that students learn Geography best through experience. Drawing a parallel, I wish to work towards delivering geographical content through field explorations and interactive learning methods that will gradually cultivate my students’ interest in Geography.

I believe that I have the necessary qualities that make me a strong teaching candidate. My organizational abilities were honed through my various leadership responsibilities assumed in Meridian Junior College. My achievements in school can also serve as testaments to my professionalism and dedication to overcome challenges in my engagements. I hope that my driven attitude towards teaching can attest to the ingredients needed of a passionate teacher.

I look forward to discussing my qualifications with you and thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Yours Sincerely,

Candice Soh Jia Yun (Ms)

Enclosure: Resume


10 comments:

  1. You have pretty much all the 7Cs in your writing. *Maybe can work on your 5Cs? Cash, Condo, Car, Credit Card and Country Club Membership. HAHAHAHA.*

    Maybe you would like to list a couple of leadership positions that best represent high organization abilities? It will give reader a better idea of what you mean by organisation abilities. Just like you did list down two learning methods to back up your statement of "Geography best through experience". Maybe also highlight an achievement that best showcases your professionalism? I think listing down what I mentioned above would differentiate you from the others because most application letters do have those two sentences (just that they are phrased differently).

    In addition, as what Miss Lim had mentioned, do include contact details and by when you will contact them again to enquire on your application.

    Cheers,
    Chee Kian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chee Kian, thank you very much for your comments!

      Delete
  2. Hey Candice! Overall a well-written letter!

    Just to add my few cents worth, "Drawing a parallel, I wish to work towards delivering geographical content through field explorations and interactive learning methods that will gradually cultivate my students’ interest in Geography".
    Is MOE promoting new teaching methods through fieldwork experiences as well? You might want to "draw a parallel" specifically to MOE's teaching framework so that they know you are keeping your abreast with their new policies.

    Next, you might want to highlight the achievements that you had attained in schools that shows your professionalism and dedication!

    All the best for writing and good luck to your hectic week ahead!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hui Qi, thank you very much for your comments. Have thought through them for the redrafts.

      And I hope everything went well on your side too!

      Delete
  3. Hey fellow teacher!

    Seems like there are lots of comments here already. I would just tie in the last part.You mentioned that you would like to draw a parallel to MOE's teaching framework. Perhaps it would be good to find out if MOE is doing that? Then you can mention that you support their programs.

    And since u advocate a certain form of approach for teaching geography, you might want to highlight that as well in your rounding off sentence?

    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terence, thank you very much for your comments. Have thought through them for the redrafts.

      Delete
  4. Hi Candice!

    WOW! Your application is really well written and you have shown your knowledge of MOE's goals (Paragraph two) as well as what motivates you (Paragraph 3).

    I have learnt some tips that I could apply in my letter as well (:

    Cheers
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Candice,

    I can see you have wrote down some very interesting attributes about yourself, which definitely are what your future employers seek. However you might want to elaborate a little on the following? :

    " It has been very rewarding each time to see my students benefit and enjoy my lessons" - instead of saying benefit, you could go into specifics? i.e. improve their grades, deepen their interest in Geography, etc?

    "I am convinced that students learn Geography best through experience." - perhaps you could spare a sentence or two to tell us what made you think this way.

    Generally well written, fluent English and excellent use of correct vocab where appropriate.

    My 2 cents worth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alvin, thank you very much for your comments. Have thought through them for the redrafts.

      Delete