Sunday, 15 April 2012

A chapter of our lives

Photo: The smiling faces post-interview

The classroom activities that we have done for this module are aplenty and for this last post, I shall focus on my learning in terms of what I have gained from the activities that I have participated in this communications class. I believe for many teachers, the course of the lessons like a process where classroom interaction and relationship building take place. However, what determines the actual change in the attitude towards the class, I feel would be the start and end impression that is created by and left upon by all the actors in a setting. Here, I'll just delve into the most impressionable ones that took place right at the beginning and at the end of this module.

The start - writing our first impression on the card stuck onto others' backs, arranging ourselves by birth order, island personal branding activity, drawing a diagram with one describing the picture - all of which hinged upon verbal and non-verbal communication skills. It was especially a very unusual experience for me as I enrolled in this class without knowing anyone. I must particularly highlight the island personal branding activity that I paired with Alvin. For me, standing before the class to brand myself through acting or various comedic moves was definitely outside my comfort zone. The extra effort put in by Chee Kian, Hui Qi, Josephine and Terence tickled us pink and showed me to a very different way of entertaining in a classroom setting. This, I believe has directly, or indirectly shaped the way I present myself to my kids in class - to be more than just a teacher.

The end - personality test, peer assessment of personality and the role stripping exercise were very introspective activities. The challenge for the personality test was really to shortlist 10 qualities to describe myself (10 is too big a number?). The role stripping exercise was however the one that I enjoyed the most for the concluding lesson as it got me thinking about my life priorities at this moment. I find it especially meaningful and I would love to re-evaluate my goals in life one day after I step out into the working force.

所谓"天下无不散之宴席,有聚必有散" 
As the saying goes, all parties must come to an end, when there is a meeting, there is separation. It has been my pleasure to meet and work with each and everyone in our class of 12, and Ms Lim. We have learnt a lot, shared the pain, cried for joy, and finally overcome this arduous journey together - each being very integral to this whole ES experience. I hereby express my deepest appreciation towards everybody for this phenomenal adventure! Cheers everyone! (:

Video: Graduation by Vitamin C



4 comments:

  1. Hey Candice!

    The last activity was definitely the most impressionable for me. It really made me reflect upon how effectively have I communicated with my priorities for the past few years and how I can improve them. I love how the skills that we have come across thus far could be applied to our everyday lives.

    Stay strong and determined, Candice! I'm sure you'll be a great teacher in time to come! Glad to work with you during peer teaching! All the best and take good care!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear, yep. The last activity was indeed very meaningful for many of us! Thank you for your well wishes! (:

      Delete
  2. Hi Candice,

    I guess the impression I had made on the first lesson was indeed a deep one for everybody. =) I really enjoyed the class activities Miss Lim had for us, those were the main driving force that motivated me for class every Mon and Thur. I have never had so much interaction with people in my class before (excluding Pre-University). This allow us to not only learn about others but ourselves too (a whole new level of communication).

    No other course would allow us to evaluate ourselves except this and therefore making it special and beneficial for our future or daily dealings with people.

    All the best for your coming exams. Take care.

    Cheers,
    Chee Kian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, it was really awesome that we don't have to bring much to class as in preparation wise, but always come out from the class feeling so much more empowered with new skills and knowledge.

      Thank you for your well wishes! (:

      Delete