Negotiating tourist culture and local culture
As people, we play the role of social actors in tourism culture where we negotiate our own culture with that of the local culture. Here, I share my own experience about a time last summer where I participated in a geography module in Chiang Mai, Thailand for 6 weeks. Our first assignment there was that of a photo essay titled: "It's all so different. But what does different mean?" Call us a fortunate or an unfortunate group of students - we were all left on our own to explore the city and teams were expected to return with an essay and a presentation on this topic 5 days later.
Returning to the topic, for me, intercultural communication would refer to people with different thought patterns and hold different cultural beliefs, values or ways of behaving. My post today touches on two observations that I've observed in Chiang Mai, while maintaining our position as 'the tourists from Singapore':
Here in Singapore, we are used to having a rules-based exchange system where our transportation fees are standardized and metered. In Chiang Mai, their songthaew and tuk-tuks interestingly work on a relational-based social practice and practiced price discrimination in favor of the locals. Us being (quick-thinking?)students quickly learnt to bargain from 20 baht to 15 baht per person per ride. It was immediate cost savings for us as we depended heavily on the songthaew to travel around the city.
![]() |
| Picture: A songthaew ride |
Making sense of difference
"To confess to a particular identity, is also to belong to difference" (Conolly, 2002)'Difference' is complex and contested, and can garner different interpretations of space. Often times, our pre-conceived notions and observations of a space shape the positionality we have as 'tourists' and 'outsiders'. Perhaps the most direct way about these cultural differences, in this case, lies in cultural sensitivity. What may work so well and efficiently in Chiang Mai may not work for Singapore, and similarly holds true for the converse.
'Difference' will always continue to exist between different cultures and this is exactly what makes cultures distinct and unique. Perhaps how we could overcome the 'cultural shock' is to recognize our differences and adjust the way we communicate to these 'differences' by changing our perception. We learn and we immerse ourselves in these new cultures and experiences. To end off, I think we could all try to appreciate and respect these systems that have been in place for their own unique purposes!
Video: NUS Field Studies 2011 Physicals
Unrelated to the above, but watch this if you're interested to find out
more about what I've done in the mountains for 3 weeks!

Hi Candice,
ReplyDeleteHaha. Your experience in crossing the road in Chang Mai reminds me of my trip to Ho Chi Minh. Here is a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIOLihISKiA) to see how difficult and scary it is to cross the road. Even guys (supposed to act heroic and macho most of the time) are afraid. My friends and I had to hold hands to cross the road. We, Singaporeans, should appreciate what LTA and the government have done for us. Often, one of the greatest take-away for an overseas trip to the less developed countries is to realise that Singapore is such a pleasant place to live in after-all.
I think bargaining is quite an innate instinct in Singaporeans. We do that quite frequently in Singapore too. I have been to flea markets with some girls before and they are the real deal in bargaining. =) However, in places like Thailand, you can literally bargain for anything and I think Singaporeans are loving it.
Overall, I think the best way to assimilate into others' culture is to adopt an open mind and stay light hearted.
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteHello CK,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your sharing. It was rather hilarious that you pointed out that even the men (who has to summon all his bravery and courage in front of the ladies), are afraid. I think problems do exist in every society, and people do praise and find fault within their own context. Definitely however, I find that we Singaporeans, are really a blessed bunch of people, and perhaps try to appreciate these little conveniences provided to them where possible.
Haha, bargaining yes definitely. Not just Singaporean culture I believe, but yep who wouldn't want cheaper prices! Then again, as long as this 'bargaining' culture continues to exist, there would always be 'marked up' prices quoted by the retailers!
Hi Candice,
ReplyDeleteLast time when I went to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, there was NO traffic lights at all! Well expect for some MAIN junctions and the traffic lights will switch off after peak hours. It was indeed quite scary as the only way to the road is to take the 'Step of faith' and the vehicles will just maneuver around you. It is definitely a culture that we need to adapt to when we visit these cultures.
In Toronto, there is a new way to cross roads too! At main cross junctions, pedestrians can cross the road diagonally so that they do not have to walk a 'L' shape to get to the opposite side. Traffic culture is indeed an interesting thing to explore (:
Hello Jo!
DeleteWow! Seems like southeast asian countries are very popular with the class! Hahaha. It's no surprise about the lack of traffic lights (think Singapore's rather regulated in that sense). Haha I like the way you say 'step of faith'. I will be going to Bangkok this coming holidays for the first time! Rather interested (and fearing for my life) about their traffic culture too! Been always studying their traffic culture as one of my JC geography topics hee hee.
Would love to experience how it is like in the Western countries like you have too! I think Singapore also has this diagonal traffic junction, do we?
Thank you for your comment!
Hey Candice,
ReplyDeleteI visited Chiang Mai before during the last December and yes, the traffic was really mad. The only time my friends and I dared to cross the road was when we followed behind the locals closely.
I really like your description of "When in Rome, do as the Romans do.". I guess it is one of the ways to best adapt any new cultures and be integrated into it. I must say that our dear classmate Fiza, has been really trying hard to learn "Singlish" to suit our Singaporean Style. She speaks with a deliberate "lah" and "lor" at the end of her sentences at times. It's really funny!
I hope that you'll have a safe and fun trip to UK! Hopefully, the traffic is better over at their side!
Hello Qi,
DeleteHaha. I think Fiza has really well assimilated herself into the local culture (at least especially with your team!) hahaha. Would love to hear her speak at length though, never really had the chance to interact with her for a prolonged period of time!
Thank you for your well wishes for my upcoming UK trip! I do hope to travel really safely there! (: