Video: Autistic communication
Communication is
therefore a reciprocal act; one conveys, the other digests. It enables and allows for a mutual agreement and
understanding. We as individuals communicate on different platforms for
differing purposes — to pitch an idea, to express emotions and thoughts, to
build social relations, etc. Communication is thus key the fabrication of societal
relations (see Ken’s tip #48 on communication).
Video: Ken's dating tips - Communication
So what then defines
an effective communication? I
suppose that’s when one’s intended meaning is translated accurately in other’s
received interpretation. As living beings, we communicate, we convey, and we relate
our idea(l)s. I’m sure most of my readers here would concur that it occurs in
every part of daily life, even in the slightest way. A failure to communicate
would impair one’s empathetic awareness. People engage in their senses –
visual, auditory, olfactory, tactile and gustatory - for meaningful exchanges.
More importantly, as a
current tutor and a future educator, it is essential (and required?) for me to
be equipped with such interpersonal skills as I am and will be dealing with
people. My present experiences with these little ones made me realise that I take students beyond their academia and also play an actor role in
their lives. It is no wonder why people say that 'a teacher is for life'. It is therefore important to know the rules of the game on having
effective exchanges and how my perceptions, judgement, etc could construct
barriers to communicating effectively, therefore aiding or deteriorating
relationships.
That's not all. I am not just a teacher to my students, but I also take on multiple roles in life alike everyone else - a student, a sibling, a daughter, granddaughter, friend, close friend, buddy, colleagues, teammates, etc. A person has only 24 hours every day. Communication hence needs to be effective for us to maximize our time spent on subjects and objects. We need (and should) allocate enough time to the various engagements we have for fulfilling sharing sessions to happen.
Video: Priorities of life - The multiple roles an individual plays
That's not all. I am not just a teacher to my students, but I also take on multiple roles in life alike everyone else - a student, a sibling, a daughter, granddaughter, friend, close friend, buddy, colleagues, teammates, etc. A person has only 24 hours every day. Communication hence needs to be effective for us to maximize our time spent on subjects and objects. We need (and should) allocate enough time to the various engagements we have for fulfilling sharing sessions to happen.
Photo: The importance of pacing
Lastly, communication
is not just a monologue where one rattles. We listen and pace with others in
terms of the content, posture and language with empathy. This thus creates a
harmonious setting for individuals to ease into a situation where they could be
open with you and to you.
In all, it is my wish
for everyone in this ES class to learn and grow together as we hail the beautiful
times, support with constructive criticism and build rapport as classmates
before we venture into our next milestone in life!
Cheers and have a nice CNY holiday!

Agree with your point that effective communication helps us to maximize the time we have each day. We only have 24 hours each day, and a breakdown in communication could potentially take up even more of our time trying to resolve it.
ReplyDeleteLike the part on how you add a personal touch to this post too by sharing how is effective communication important to you as a current tutor and future educator.
Hello Jo! Yeah, thank you for pointing out the point on resolving conflicts! It hadn't occurred it me then!
DeleteHi Candice,
ReplyDeleteI really do enjoy all the videos you have posted and I find meanings in all of them. For the first video on Autistic communication, I am pleasantly surprised that there are new insights into the lives of autistic people where those from mainstream have failed to understand for the past centuries and had classified them as mildly mental retarded out of convenience. From PL1101E Introduction to Psycology, the experts define mental disorder as maladaptive or deviant behavior. I hope they will change their definition at least for autistic people, because many autistic people have maladaptive behavior but that does not necessary mean that they are mentally retarded. As seen from the video, we now understand that their ‘maladaptive’ behavior stems from the fact that they are receiving too many sensory inputs as compared to those from mainstream. For Carly’s case, I cried because I’m touched by her determination. I’m thankful that Carly’s father never gave up on her, even though the advice he got was ‘you should do as much as you think you can for the kid’. This has thought us to be strong and never give up, easier said than done, but I’m truly motivated by this family.
Next, I enjoy watching the video on priorities in life. I did read from a book ‘7 habits of effective person’ on something related to that. The emphasis is that we should not spend too much time and effort on things that are beyond our ‘circle of control’, and we should focus on things that are at least within our ‘circle of influence or control’. This video gave a very good analogy that if you put in the sand first, the balls cannot fit in, and that being said, we will end up sacrificing our family and health if we focus too much on other small things in life like your job, property and etc. I really find this advice particularly crucial for everyone because if we cannot prioritize things properly, we will not be able to develop to our fullest potential and lead meaningful lives.
I personally gave tuition in the past before university workloads and grades dictate that I should prioritize my studies. I had a fun time sharing my experiences with the boy, and influencing him to be more motivated in wanting to gain knowledge, apart from teaching him the technical academic stuff. I think that communication is a very important tool if we want to express ourselves effectively and efficiently. Wishing you all the best in your career as an educator!
Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris! Glad you found meanings in my video sharing! I like your introduction of 'circle of control'. Think i've come across it somewhere before too! But yup, in all, there has to be a sense of balance between everything. Taking a leaf from work-life balance for instance, these are no longer separate components and we often have to bring work into life and vice versa. It is not surprising to find us torn between proper time and emotional management, hence the need to prioritize well. Effective communication plays a part there to cut down on time lost to rectifying broken communication!
DeleteI am totally in love... in love with the magical touch you've placed by injecting short video clips at appropriate junctures. Ken's dating tips made my day, not only it is hilarious but I have learn some tips to date a barbie.
ReplyDeleteI notice a new video, "priorities in life", which was initially not in your post.In merely 2.32min, I was utterly enlightened with facts that many may have overlooked at times and of course,a chill-out session with friends over a couple glasses of wine is a must. Care for some coffee sometimes? =) Chill-out sessions not only enhance friendships and allow for exploitation of the various aspects of effective communication, they also serve as a source of information exchange in which we get to share our expertise and also share views on politics (recent general election), philosophies (Confucius vs mencius), history (cao-wei, shu-han, wu empires, more familarily known from romance of the three kingdoms) and etc.
一日为师,终生为父。I thank you on behalf of your students for being able to play an actor role in their lives as many teachers I have encountered have failed in that. Effective interpersonal communication skills will diminish the virtual barrier which students will usually cast, thus not only enable one to befriend his/her student but also will enhance the student's willingness and enthusiasm to learn and excel. This was what I did for my secondary HCL as my Chinese teacher was and still is able to touch my life not only as a mentor but as a friend.
That's pretty much it. Thanks for reading my comment if you are and I look forward to seeing interest post by you. =)
Cheerios,
Chee Kian
Haha Chee Kian you are mega funny. Yup, Ken's dating tips is one of my favourite amongst the videos in the same post! It's a very lighthearted watch. The video on "priorities in life" also struck me deep because it was a really useful visual tool to enhance their ideas.
DeleteI am not too familiar with history but I do get your drift on how ancient scholars till today make use of communication as a tool to share ideas and speak to one another. It would be interesting to explore how language came about too. I'm personally interested in linguistics but heh, no affinity with exploring linguistics in NUS!
Haha, having taught for a while as a tutor, I understand how difficult it is to be an effective teacher in terms of content and relationship coupled with all that heavy workload! But definitely, having a rapport built on sound foundation with the class
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely have to agree with you that communication can do more than just pass information - more importantly the ability to communicate effectively could reinforce the ties we have with our loved ones and friends; Nothing was more appropriate than the video about Carly's struggle with autism, a video so touching that I was instantly moved by her determination in fighting her sensory inputs, just so that she could convey her feelings to her father. Although it was a typewritten message, it carried with it so much meaning.
ReplyDeleteI particularly like the "priorities in life" video on how communication is not just with other people but also with our inner self and certainly organisation of our priorities has to take centrestage. Sometimes we have such busy schedules, we do not leave enough time for family and friends. The analogy of the jar with the golf balls and empty spaces in the video was so simple yet powerful enough to drive home the message that there is enough time for everyone and everything. It all begins with organisation of our priorities, and good way to start is by communicate with our inner self.
Hello Alvin,
DeleteYup, I think Carly's video really proved a lot to the viewers, and it is a testament of how technology allows her to voice up. Her condition has made the usual typewritten message so much more meaningful. What's interesting to me is her wish to communicate to not just the 'normal' people, but also to those who are down with Autism.
The point on the inner self is also an appropriate one as everything boils down to your own mentality and attitude. Thank you for sharing this!
Hey fellow educator!!
ReplyDeletePardon me for being more inclined towards the teacher part of your post. But as a teacher, i cannot agree more that we cannot just play the role of merely teaching the subject. Being role models for our students, the moment where we step into the class, begins the process of communication. From there on, the way we carry ourselves, the way we interact and the values we impart. As to what reaches them depends on the effective communications that we set out to achieve with our students. I especially love the part that you mention that we have to take on multiple roles. I believe this exemplifies what a teacher has to be.
And coincidentally, just like Chee Kian, i was touched by my HCL teachers, who taught me with unlimited patience despite my terrible "affinity" with Mandarin. The way in which they communicated with me left me with great respect for them.
Aloha fellow educator!
DeleteReally glad to have found another 'colleague-to-be' in this class! Indeed, we will have to be really good multi-taskers in future, maybe? Dabbling with all that work-LIFE balance. I hope we'll be able to strike a positive balance when we jump out from NUS to another school. hahaha
May you also be an inspiration to your future students!
Hey Candice!
ReplyDeleteI feel really inspired by the video on "Autistic Girl Expresses Profound Intelligence". Her determination towards life challenges the way how normal people view them as inapt in a certain way. From this short clip, it made me feel that I can do so much more refinement or change to communicate more effectively with our family and friends.
I cannot agree more with you that setting priorities in life is really important and through communicating effectively, it can maximize our time spent in work and with our love ones. I am sure that at times, there are moments when workload becomes so overwhelming that we might neglect certain priorities especially our family in one way or another. In those cases, effective communication also kicks in when we have to convey our situation to them and make them really understand.
Really love the way you write and look forward to more entries from you too!
Hello Qi!
DeleteHaha, I'm glad the video has left you with some motivation to do something for yourself! Take things step-by-step. It'll all work out well so long as you are aware, and you try.
I think priorities happens each time when we make a choice. We have to choose one over the other. I must admit that i'm equally (or more) guilty of poor time management. There was this interesting picture that circulated on facebook some time ago about how you can only be a combination of any two, but never all, for good grades, social life and enough sleep!
Look forward to your comments!